Sunday, May 11, 2008

A nice compliment/more Moshin - Philip Bernot

I recently posted a blog about the marvelous wines from Moshin Vineyards and the dynamic Rick Moshin. One of the things I love about the wine business is the many very smart people you meet-all doing something they love. In chatting with Rick he mentioned how the heavily extracted wines that are currently popular need so much more chemical stabilizing, so I asked if he could send me a few words on it:

Hello Philip,
Thanks for the great words in your blog. I said I would get back to you about the SO2 levels in my wines. SO2 levels in wines follow some recommended level depending on the pH of the wine. The lower the pH at bottling, the less amount of free sulpher is required. What we do at Moshin is to capture the acidity and pH at harvest, thus making our wines requirements for sulfites additions low from conception.
Also reduced oxygen levels in the wine due to little or no pumping helps keep our total SO2 levels in the measures of 20 to 50 PPM. We also work in the vineyards to reduce malic acid production in the berries. Thus after ML we maintain lower pH levels in the wine because of less malic acid. If you have more questions let me know.
Good luck with selling Moshin Wines in your store. Happy Summer! Rick Moshin


Thanks for the compliment Rick - Thanks for thinking that I am a LOT smarter than I really am! LOVE the wines, BTW :)

Philip

No comments: