Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Welcome from Philip Bernot, Chief Bacchanalian Coordinator

Hey Puppies!



We created this blog to share our thoughts with our wonderful customers. Speaking for myself, I will be posting mostly tasting notes and random thoughts. We will probably not go in to great detail here, more like some quick notes on interesting wines and such. Hopefully this will be helpful to all you grape-nutz out there! Without further ado . . .



Two wines I tasted recently that made me smile (We will be stocking these wines soon, near the end of Feb.):



Hop Kiln "Big Red" - It was in 1981 that I made one of my first visits to a winery, Hop Kiln in Healdsburg, Sonoma, California. The iconic building, a historic landmark, obviously owes it heritage to beer, but a hop-fungus wiped out that business in the 50's. The ranch had been around since mid-1800's, so naturally they moved on to another agriculture product. This is a beautiful property, located in the Russian River Valley. I am not used to being taken aback by these inexpensive field blends, especially from a non-vintage wine, but I am very impressed by this offering. What set this wine apart was it's impeccable structure; classic California - definitely not a "fruit-bomb." I'm tearing-up just a little because this wine reminds me of Old California, which is my home, not the adult Disneyland of today's Napa Valley. The wine is a blend of Zin, Carignan, Syrah, etc., but all you really need to know is that it's delish! http://www.hopkilnwinery.com/ Under $20.



David Hill "Farm House White" - Another non-vintage blend, this time from Oregon. Farm House White is a perfect picnic wine, delicious fruit, rich aromatics, and a slightlly off-dry finish. Grapes for wine production have been grown on this property since the late 1800's, but the new owners have been here since 1992. I know it's Chardonnay (yawn!) that most people like to talk about, but I simply loved this unassuming but rewarding wine. Farmhouse White is a blend of Viognier, Gewürztraminer, Semillon, Chardonnay and Riesling; perfect with asian cusine, especially Thai! http://www.davidhillwinery.com/index.html About $15.

No comments: